Natural Disaster Youth SummitStudents use a language they are learning to communicate with others as they learn how to protect their lives in a natural disaster. (COMMON CORE STATE STANDARDS ALIGNED)
- Reading 4. Interpret words and phrases as they are used in a text, including determining technical, connotative, and figurative meanings, and analyze how specific word choices shape meaning or tone.
Speaking and Listening
- Writing 4. Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- Writing 8. Gather relevant information from multiple print and digital sources, assess the credibility and accuracy of each source, and integrate the information while avoiding plagiarism.
- Speaking and Listening 1. Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
- Speaking and Listening 5. Make strategic use of digital media and visual displays of data to express information and enhance understanding of presentations.
- Language 3. Apply knowledge of language to understand how language functions in different contexts, to make effective choices for meaning or style, and to comprehend more fully when reading or listening.
- Language 4. Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases by using context clues, analyzing meaningful word parts, and consulting general and specialized reference materials, as appropriate.
- Let them use Japanese in real communication.
- Make students realize the importance of human lives and preparation to disasters.
- Let them enjoy the process of learning.
- Improve my skill of collaborative learning.
- Learn from other teachers’ practices.
Timetable & Specific Lessons
- Week 1: Tell students about partner school and introduce the NDYS Teddy Bear.
- Week 2: Discuss what they want to put in a Kids Emergency Bag
- Week 3: Bring the goods they want to send to Japan.
- Week 4: Send the NDYS Teddy Bear with their introduction and goods
- Week 5: Receive the NDYS Teddy Bear from Japan. See what is in the box.
- Discuss about the Kid's Emergency Bag of partner school and discuss why they included the items