NSLI-Y Morocco & India Students Return to U.S.
After six weeks of intensive language study and cultural immersion in Morocco and India, NSLI-Y students returned to the U.S. on August 8th and 11th. This summer, 15 NSLI-Y students studied Arabic in Rabat, Morocco and 20 students traveled to Pune, India to study the Hindi language. We welcome these students back home after a summer full of amazing experiences and academic and personal growth.
Here are some highlights from each group’s summer program:
Students in Rabat attended Arabic language classes at Qalam Wa Lawh language center, lived with Moroccan host families, and traveled around Morocco on several excursions. Some of the group activities and trips include:
- Excursions to Casablanca, Marrakech, and the Sahara desert.
- Volunteer activities with a local children’s center for at-risk youth and a visit to the local orphanage.
- Workshops on Moroccan cooking, pottery making, and the art of henna.
In addition to a rigorous language class schedule and the experience of living with a host family, students in Pune participated in a variety of special activities and events throughout the summer:
- Indian art and music cultural activities - learning a Bollywood song and dance and glass painting and embossing.
- Community service activities - tutoring local elementary and middle school students and visiting a retirement home.
- Youth exchanges - discussion about Indian economics and culture and globalization with students from two local high schools.